The Covid pandemic, which has been a headache for the whole world for more than a year, has made the lives of migraine patients difficult. Neurologist Prof. Dr. Pınar Yalınay Dikmen, Acıbadem Maslak Hospital said, “In this difficult process, increased anxiety, disruption in sleep patterns, social isolation, physical inactivity and different eating habits can cause an increase in the frequency of migraine attacks.” Prof. Dr. Pınar Yalınay Dikmen explained the simple but effective measures that can be taken against migraine in the pandemic; made important warnings and suggestions.
If these symptoms accompany your headache!
Pointing out that headache, which is one of the most common complaints in our society, is often used indiscriminately to painkillers, but this is wrong, Neurologist Prof. Dr. Pınar Yalınay Dikmen, Acıbadem Maslak Hospital said that unconscious and frequently used painkillers can cause significant harm to health. Emphasizing that the headache complaint is of special importance in the Covid-19 pandemic, which has been welcoming to our country as well as the world for more than a year, Prof. Dr. Pınar Yalınay Dikmen said, “Headache is a common symptom of Covid-19. In addition, there may be findings that mimic migraine such as nausea and vomiting during this infection. If you are experiencing a new pain with different forms and characteristics than the headache you have always known and know during migraine attacks, and you have additional complaints such as fever, cough, fatigue, common muscle and joint pain, shortness of breath, which may suggest Covid-19, you must contact your doctor.”
Migraine can be diagnosed with mobile phones!
Stating that during the pandemic period, which radically changed our daily life habits, online health services rapidly became widespread in our country, it became possible to diagnose and treat migraine with online examination without going to the hospital, Prof. Dr. Pınar Yalınay Dikmen said, “If there is any red flag in your story, that is, if your doctor thinks that your headache is caused by something other than migraine, he may invite you to the hospital and ask you to have brain imaging or laboratory tests.”
Keep a headache diary!
Recording that those who have 15 or more painful days per month are called chronic migraine patients and that these patients should start treatment by contacting their physicians online without delay, Neurologist Prof. Dr. Pınar Yalınay Dikmen said, “If you have a previous diagnosis of migraine by your doctor, your doctor will make the decision of preventive treatment based on your pain frequency in the last months. It may not be easy to remember how many days you have painful days a month, so I recommend keeping a headache diary, recording your painful days. This will be very useful for your doctor to determine the most appropriate treatment option for you. If your pain is less than 4 days a month, you can manage the process by taking the recommended and good medications for migraine attack treatment. However, if your painful days are between 4-14 days a month, you may need a regular treatment for migraine. You can talk to your doctor online and decide on the most suitable option for the attack and preventive treatment of migraine.”
10 effective ways to prevent migraine!
- Avoid hunger for a long time, do not skip meals.
- Insufficient and prolonged sleep triggers migraine. Pay attention to your sleep patterns. Go to bed at the same time in the evening and wake up at the same time in the morning.
- Learn to manage stress, as attacks begin with mental strain, conflict situations, and stress in many migraine sufferers.
- Be very careful to drink enough water to avoid a migraine attack, do not wait for thirst to drink water.
- Physical activity is of great importance against migraine. Therefore, avoid inactivity and take regular walks. Do not neglect home exercise.
- Scientific studies show that vitamin D has a protective effect against migraine. Therefore, make sure you get as much vitamin D as you need daily. However, vitamin D dissolves in fat, so too much is harmful for your body. For this reason, be sure to use the amount of vitamin D recommended by your doctor. You can also use Vitamin B2, Magnesium and Coenzyme-Q-10 with the recommendation of your doctor.
- Keep a headache diary to record the frequency of your attacks and the reasons that triggered them. Thus, it is possible to recognize and avoid the causes that initiate your pain.
- Since migraine is a disorderly affecting disease; make your daily habits healthy and regular.
- Avoid excessive caffeine, smoking and alcohol.
- Do not be withdrawn, do not neglect to video chat with your friends even if they are not face to face.