Not every hernia treatment requires surgery!

Physiotherapist Altan Yalım of Therapy Sport Center, Physical Therapy Center made important explanations about which conditions may or may not be surgical in the treatment of hernia.

The majority of the society complains of low back, back or neck pain at certain periods of their lives. Although these pains are mostly due to mechanical, muscle or ligament problems, many of them are caused by joint degeneration or disc herniation (hernia).
Yalım said, “As many of us know, ‘Hernia’ is a state of pressure either on the nerve roots at that level or on the spinal cord by tearing the sheaths of the discs between the joints. While 3% of these cases require surgery, the remaining 97% will improve if drug therapy or physical therapy is applied. As it is known, the problem of hernia causes serious limitations and loss of work force in patients. However, long-term relief can be achieved with purposefully planned physical therapy and exercise programs. Being late for serious complaints can sometimes cause irreversible damage. Therefore, you should go to the doctor immediately, especially in the signs of loss of strength.”

Physiotherapist Altan Yalım noted the following about which conditions may or may not be surgical in the treatment of hernia:

1-Pain alone is not sufficient for surgery. If there is a match, further investigation should be done.
2-Although movement limitations suggest a hernia, they often point to muscle or ligament problems.
3-Although there is a hernia finding only in numbness in the hands or feet, it can sometimes be confused with nerve compression.
4-Complaints of cold hands and feet are not among the hernia findings.
5-Muscle strength loss is the most prominent condition for surgery. A doctor should be consulted in case of loss of fingers or ankle muscles.
6- Balance problems in walking or falling of hand-held objects are among the symptoms to be evaluated for further examination.
7- Sometimes the pain may occur not only in the lower back or neck, but also in the leg or arm stimulated by the relevant nerve. In these cases, an examination should be made.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here